Calvin demonstrates how to remove and install cassette cogs and choose the correct lockring tool.
There’s another cog system called a “freewheel”, and the procedures in this video are for cassette systems, not freewheel systems.
If you’re not sure what you’ve got, watch this other video to help you determine which is which.
Why are we doing this? Sprocket teeth wear over time and no longer engage the chain leading to poor drivetrain train performance and chain skipping. This procedure is also used when replacing the cassette for an upgrade or to changing gear ratios.
00:00 Preliminary Info
01:37 Lockring Tool Selection
02:07 Removal Process
05:41 Installation Process
Questions or comments? Leave them below!
➤Other Cassette & Freewheel Videos:
Determining Cassette/Freewheel Type & Tool Selection ▶︎ https://youtu.be/iTJ3taJHOn8
Freewheel Removal & Installation ▶︎ https://youtu.be/rdQE8-ea1uw
➤ Tools & materials used:
Cassette Lockring Removal Tool:
• FR-5.2 Cassette Lockring Tool: https://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5-2
• FR-5.2H Cassette Lockring Tool With Handle:
• FR-5.2G Cassette Lockring Tool With 5mm Guide Pin:
• FR-5.2GT Cassette Lockring Tool With 12mm Guide Pin:
• BBT-5/FR-11 Bottom Bracket Cassette Lockring Tool (for Campagnolo®):
Freewheel Tool Driver (wrench):
• PAW-12 12-Inch Adjustable Wrench:
• FRW-1 Freewheel Remover Wrench:
• TW-6.2 Ratcheting Click-Type Torque Wrench:
Grease or Anti-seize:
• PPL-1 Polylube 1000™ Lubricant (Tube): https://www.parktool.com/product/polylube-1000-lubricant-tube-ppl-1
• ASC-1 Anti-Seize Compound: https://www.parktool.com/product/anti-seize-compound-asc-1
• PPL-2 Polylube 1000™ Lubricant (Tub): https://www.parktool.com/product/polylube-1000-lubricant-tub-ppl-2
• SR-12 Sprocket Remover / Chain Whip:
• HCW-16.2 Chain Whip / Pedal Wrench: https://www.parktool.com/product/chain-whip-pedal-wrench-hcw-16-2
• SR-2.2 Sprocket Remover / Chain Whip:
• CP-1.2 Cassette Pliers:
For a text-based walk-through of this process:
➤ Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/user/parktoolcompany?sub_confirmation=1
➤ Like: https://www.facebook.com/parktool
➤ Follow: https://www.instagram.com/parktoolblue
➤ Fix It:
Did you know that Park Tool is the #1 resource for bicycle repair education?
• Visit our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/parktool
• Visit the Repair Help section of Parktool.com: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/
• Check out The Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair: http://www.parktool.com/product/big-blue-book-of-bicycle-repair-3rd-edition-bbb-3
➤ About Park Tool:
Since our founding in 1963, Park Tool has been the leading name in bicycle tools. Our YouTube channel is an extension of our mission to be the ultimate resource for mechanics and riders of all skill levels. Here you will find comprehensive repair help tutorials for a wide range of components and processes, as well as troubleshooting guides, tips and tricks, and information on the latest Park Tool products.